Wednesday, May 20, 2009

North Shore Sprint Triathlon Race Report

Monday morning the alarm goes off at 5:00 am. Even though my race was at 10:30am (if previous waves were on time) I was getting a ride to North Van from my friend Ryan, and he was racing at 8:30 am. I had a normal night of sleep, about 8hrs, like nothing special was going on Monday morning. After a big bowl of Vector and Mueslix I was out the door. By 6:15 we were in transition, which was still being set up by the race organizers and volunteers. With 4hrs 15min to kill before my race, I racked my bike and went into the Community centre to relax, listen to some music, stretch and have my usual breakfast about 3 hours before the race. The multigrain bagel with peanut butter and banana with half a liter of chocolate milk with instant coffee never fails.

Two hours before race time I went into transition and quickly set everything up. Things have become simpler over the last couple of races and the only things in my towel were my racing shoes, and my race belt. No socks, no extra jackets, no bottles, no socks, no cycling shoes, nothing! 1.5 hrs before the race I started the warm up with a 20 min jog on the first section of the course. After that I went out for a 20 min bike ride along the course to figure out were to push it and were to take a break. It was good practice as the bike course was rolling. At the pool I started a dry land warm up thinking that we would not be able to swim, but fortunately I was wrong and we got a 5 min warm up which was good enough. The Sugoi Velocity Tri suit I bought at Speed Theory one week ago felt very very slick, tight but comfortable. It was a great purchase, and so much more comfortable than a 2 piece.

The plan with Kamal Rae and David Roulston was to do a pace line on the swim, doing about 2 laps (out of 20) each. Then work together on the bike to drop/catch the junior elites. Probably catch them as they are all very fast swimmers. The race started and I went first, feeling strong and very smooth after my 2 laps I found I had already opened a gap on Kamal. At that moment I decided not to wait and just went for it. The swim was uneventful, strong but not all out. Came out of the water with the main pack and was feeling good.

T1 was a disaster; first time trying to put my shoes on the bike did not go smooth and I probably lost 15+ seconds standing next to the mount line. Next time I will try the rubber band technique until I get more comfortable with flipping the shoes up and getting my feet on top of them… On that incident a group of about 5 juniors that came out of the water with me flew by. Once I sorted out my shoes, I was pissed and on the hunt. 5km into the bike course I had passed 7 or 8 juniors and opened a 30 seconds gap on them. At that point I was in third place, about 1 min down on the leader, 30s down second place, 30 sec ahead of a then organized drafting line of juniors, and about 45 sec ahead of Kamal and David which were working together (the only 2 Elites I was allowed to draft). Waiting for them was not an option, so I kept working hard by myself. At the end of the 20km gaps were almost identical as after 5km, and I was glad that the juniors did not make up any ground working together.

T2 made up for T1, I was in and out like a lightning. Shoes did not give me any trouble despite having a short tongue and I probably was 10-15sec faster that second place guy. I could now see him through the forest, and I was not stopping till I caught him. 7 min into the run I did catch him, stayed with him for 20 sec to catch my breath and before he could think a strategy I dropped him fast, not allowing for any comeback. I was now in the hunt for the first guy, but I could not see him even in long flat sections. I kept pushing hard as the group of juniors working together on the bike were going to have fresh legs. Before I knew it the race was over, I was second and feeling great. My run has been a weakness in the past but I had the fastest split of the day and felt very speedy through the forest.

I had my well deserved recovery shake, about 2 bananas, 1 orange and like 6 mini multigrain bagels at the finish line. Awards ceremony, home, relax and stretch, dinner, 1hr spin on the trainer, bed. Very good day, very happy with my swim (time includes 10+ sec of running to the timing mat), and extremely happy with my run.

Me hurting? What?



Done, 56:26, where is the food?


Next stop, Shawnigan Lake Olympic Tri on Sunday

Facundo

8 comments:

Vincent said...

awesome race buddy. Yeah, you really gotta get those shoes working for you on T1, elastics are great.

I didn't realize you weren't allowed drafting the jr. thats too bad. Would have been fun.

how were the new nikes?

Can't wait to see the results next week

Kamal Rae said...

If I recall, I was right on you after 2 lengths but didn't have it to pass you and take my 2...but you did get that gap after the next length ;)

Beto said...

Good job in the race...and nice detailed description, too.
Beto

Unknown said...

Great job on the race!!! Although your food description made me hungry; I miss bagels!!

Facundo said...

Vince: Yeah, you are not allowed to draft them, so the only female Elite got pretty screwed... The nikes were ridiculously good, highly recomend.

Kamal: I expected that you would be literally touching my feet, thats what I would have done =) By gap I meant maybe 1/2 body length, so I just went for it... But let me tell you, it would have been nice to have you guys on the bike!

Eze said...

Way to go!!

Looks like you've started racing season on the right foot. Keep it up.

MARIA said...

New Look?? Want more pictures...can´t wait!!!!
Good luck for Sunday.
Take care.
Your first fan.

Anonymous said...

Me encantó todo, relato y fotos!!! Felíz yo tb.
Felicitaciones!!!