Monday, May 11, 2009

New Shoes + Weekend Update

I have been looking for a pair of racing shoes for a while, and for one reason or another, I did not like any of the 5 or 6 pairs I tried over the last 2 months. Some of them fit right, but the inside lining was definitely going to give me blisters wearing them barefoot. Some of them had a great “velvet” feeling lining, but the fit did not feel right. After reading in some blogs about the Nike Lunar Racers I decided to go on the hunt and find a shop to try them on. They were ridiculously light at 5.6oz, but seemed to have great cushioning, exactly what I was looking for. I called Sportcheck, Sportmart, The Right Shoe, and Forerunners and they did not have it. Crap, where else could I check? Right, the Nike store... Called them, only 2 pairs left size 9.5, blue sole, 100 CND instead of 150 because of the “lack of sizes and colors”. 1hr later I was out of the store with a new pair of shoes… I run on them on the weekend for about 30 min with no blisters or chafing anywhere, great cushioning, light, lightning fast, awesome!


My wallet is heavier than this, and trust me, I don't have much cash in there...

The weekend was busy, like always. Saturday started with our 6.30 swim in which we did lots of racing and sprinting. I definitely felt off, weak, powerless. After 1200m of warm up that did not change and therefore I suffered through the Timed 200, 2x100, 4x50. We finished a bit earlier than usual and I went home for a second breakfast. After that I was out the door to Safeway, the produce, the bank and cut my hair. Later on I will post a picture of my new hairstyle, but let me tell you, it’s quite short. After all that I had lunch and went to Speed Theory, picked up my new Cervelo S2 (the replacement, for the ones that know…) and off for a ride. Bike feels great, I loved it, and the weather was sunny and relatively hot (~16C). Came back from the ride at 5, showered, went for a BBQ in Jericho beach hosted by my friend Enej, and then off to Andras house to watch the game at 7:30. After 4 hours there I was ready for bed, actually, I could not wait to get to bed!

Sunday was almost as busy. Gym in the morning, run right after (on the new shoes), lunch, bike ride to Iona with lots of sprinting, shower, Whitecaps game vs Puerto Rico Islanders in Swangard Stadium, dinner and bed. Once again, by 11pm I could not wait to be asleep. Once again I did not have 1 hour on the weekend to sit on the couch and do nothing, there is always too many things to do, especially because during the week I can only afford to work, train, and eat. Each day has only 24 hrs and therefore everything else is on hold until the weekend.

Anyways, I think next weekend will be better. It is 3 days long, and on Monday I race the North Shore Sprint tri, so Sunday will be a relatively easier day. I can’t wait for the race on Monday and 6 days later the Shawnigan Lake Olympic tri. Race season is underway, yey!

Until I find myself some more time to write, goodbye…

5 comments:

Vincent said...

cool new shoes man.

I know Matt from the tri club got those ones and loved them.

I had a similar weekend but instead of training it was spent primarily in lab...

Good luck next week, what time is your race? I'll come out and watch

Facundo said...

Yeah man, that would be cool!

The Elite Race starts 10:45, but it could get delayed a bit as all age groups go from about 8 to 10am.

It should be a fun race, that is if I dont come out of the swim alone =)

Eze said...

Those are some good looking shoes, man!

Beto said...

Congratulations on your new blog! Great idea. I love your picture when you were 2-years-old.

Beto

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the blog too!!
Just one thing, can I borrow your shoes?