Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hard day at the “office”

Yesterday started off at 4:20am, about 25 minutes earlier than it normally would. I woke up feeling refreshed and quite alert, and right away I knew that trying to fall asleep in the next 25 minutes was going to be next to impossible. I went into the kitchen and switched the usual rushed bowl of cereal to a delicious baguel with peanut butter and honey, and a hot cup of Nesquik. Waking up with time makes the morning start so much better. I wish I could do this more often, but that means I have to be in bed earlier than 8:45pm; very unlikely as I barely make it everyday as it is.

The swim was good, I was feeling strong and technique was good. I usually feel strong in the pool the day after a good gym workout involving triceps, lats, shoulders and so on. Main set was 6x(400 strong on 6:00, 2x50 fast on 1:00). My arms were done at the end of the 4.9K workout.

From the pool I went to work, and then at 4pm I went back home for some intervals on the treadmill and big ring work on the bike. I wanted to run 6x1km at 3:30pace, with 1:30 recovery in between at 5:00pace. I ended up running 1 hr as planned, but only did 5 reps instead of 6. I have no problem holding this speed on the road or on the track, but on the treadmill a 3:30 pace requires a faster turnover rate or a longer stride. I was happy with the workout.

Right after the run I went upstairs, had a banana, and went out on the bike for my 1hr loop around UBC Area including 16th Ave and Chancellor Blvd. I did not care what the average speed of the ride was, as long as the cadence stayed low. Mission accomplished, 1hr, 33.6kph, 67 Av. Cadence. At the end of the ride the legs were still feeling good and strong, and only the hamstrings were feeling a little tired. I guess its also due to the fact that Jeremy at Speed Theory made some position adjustments on the bike and moved the seat forward a little bit.

Dinner time included some yam, squash, tomato soup and steak. 10 minutes of stretching, foam roller, the magic Stick, and I passed out before I remember finding a comfortable sleeping position.

Today I have a shorter training day with 1hr in the gym (core and arms) and 1.5 hrs on the trainer (yes, its raining outside) with 20x(2min hard, 1 min ez). The North Shore Sprint Tri is in 5 days and I already want to go at it =)

Facundo

3 comments:

Vincent said...

Thats an intense day, I don't know how you wake up that early. I try and make it to the pool by 7:30 and thats a stretch for me.

Keep it up man.

You doing anything after north shore? Or taking the rest of the day off? I'll be riding around that area

Facundo said...

I might do an easy spin to get the recovery going, but I wont really know what my condition will be after the race.

If I ride right after the race/back home, then we shall ride together!

Enej said...

Keep up the training Facundo :P.