Monday, June 29, 2009

Really injured

Eventually things catch up to you… Left Tricep still useless, hurts when I bend my elbow all the way (pulls) or when I stretch my arm (especially above my head). Last good swim was Tuesday last week, Saturday I tried to see how it felt, no progress at all even wearing a sling for 3 days. Hip was going downhill, and Friday got worse, I know I am stupid, should have stopped my run after 3 steps, I did not. Saturday morning it was worse than ever. Can’t swim, cant run, and really, between a very sore hip and a very sore (injured I should say, I just hate that word) tricep, I really shoud not bike either…

For the first time in 4 years one of the greatest things about this sport (diversity of training/sports) is not even helping. I am completely screwed in terms of training substitutions… I can’t even try to keep doing some cardio in the gym, without moving the legs or arms I don’t think it will really work. After 25 minutes floating on Saturday I arrived to the psychologically tough, but physically wise decision to take some time completely off, nothing, 0, nada. I really need to heal, not because of upcoming local races, but because I want to be good at Kelowna and the Worlds, real good.

Saturday and Sunday I did things I did not do in many many months, like going to the beach for a full day (picnic lunch style), read more than in the previous 3 months together, watched the Giro (still haven’t finished!) stages 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 (yes, like 10hrs, I really had to “live” sports somehow), had breakfast in bed, hanged out with friends for like 6 hrs doing nothing, made a bbq, and the list goes on… I will stay off until I feel improvements, and then start slowly. The main goal is about 2 months from now, not next weekend.

This is clearly easier to write and say than to do, but if I keep saying it maybe I will end up believing it and it not going to be as hard to let go. Staying home on Sunday at 9am, 1.5 hrs before the Cypress Hill climb pretty much required a restraining order. I was proud, I think I have a long way to go on the art of patience and maturity as an athlete, but I proved myself I am moving in the right direction.

More rest, more Giro and more patience for me… I will crush it next race, whenever that is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try and enjoy the rest.
Might even make you faster, if it avoids full burnout right before worlds.

Tyler

Derek WL said...

Man!

REALLY sorry to hear you're not doing super well. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoying the time off.

You're a tank man, once you recover it'll take you NO time to get back up to speed.

Take it easy man and I wish you a super speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Take it easy.
It might be a good time to start yoga classes.
You are still one of the two best children I have.

Papa

Unknown said...

Patience, your body is wise and knows when you should have a little rest. Enjoy the chiro, enjoy life, there so many things to do!! And I´m sure you´ll be reloaded for the next step to take!!

peace