Thursday, June 25, 2009

Much needed rest

When I was writing the post before Iron Mountain I purposely omitted mentioning 2 “injuries” that were bothering me in the week leading to the race.

First:
Since Monday or Tuesday a week ago I started feeling some minor pain on the right side of the hip. The pain is kind of somewhere on the outside of the hip between the hip flexors (front) and glutes (back). Through searching online I believe it is the Tensor Faciae Latae (TFL) which is part of the very famous Illiotibial Tract (runners devil). The pain was minor but consistent all last week, and as usual, adrenaline on race day makes all minor pains vanish. Monday and Tuesday after the race the pain was still there, and Wednesday after track it got a bit worse. Best idea: Take the afternoon off on Wed and stretch 30min (was supposed to ride 2hr) and Thursday completely off from running and cycling (as usual). Today after yesterdays stretching and icing it feels wayyy better, and I am tempted to do something in the afternoon, but I must not. I should have the same discipline for rest as I have for training and today I will ice again and stretch, I hope it goes away quick. Tomorrow will be running with Dave on Stanley Park, plans have been made...

Second:
On Thursday last week I was on my usual ½ day off and while I was stretching I pulled either a muscle or nerve on my left arm. It feels like it’s the Tricep, but cant be so sure… It hurt quite a bit Friday and therefore skipped swimming practice for the first time in 8 months. Got better during the day, swam on Saturday morning 40 min w/some sprints before Sundays race no problem… Sunday went smooth as well. Monday I could barely notice it there and so swam open water, Tuesday swim practice, Wednesday I could barely move the arm again without making a wimp face. Best idea: Skip Thursday workout, harder mentally than physically, I really needed rest. Tomorrow I will probably skip swimming as well, and go back on Saturday (like running, giving myself 3 days to see how it feels).

The last couple of weeks have been hard and I have not been giving myself lots of time to recover, especially after races. Eventually this is going to catch up to me if I dont listen... This is a sign that I should rest, and as hard as it is, I am doing so. Sunday I am still on for Cypress Hill Climb depending how the hip feels, but as of now is a big yes… Dave and I hit Cypress on Tuesday and went from the Mulgrave school sign to the powerlines in 37:35, looking forward to how much harder we can go on race day =) Colin will also be doing it so it should be fun fun fun.

Last but not least, pictures from Sundays race!


6 comments:

Noa said...

Short term gains lead to long term pain Facundo... go see a good physio/chiro :-)

Noa

Anonymous said...

I'd suggest a double check of your bike fit, my TFL pain has been soooo much better since Noa did my bike fit. As already recommended a good physio can realy help keep a bad TFL from getting worse.

MARIA said...

Good suggestions Facu.....do ALL for recovering ASAP.
See you @ the mousse, wish us a good trip.

Facundo said...

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I will be seeing someone if I feel any minor pain after I go back full on Saturday... I dont thing the bike position is the problem as I have not changed anything for a long time.

I only feel the TFL when I run, but not when I bike even for long period of time or at high intensity. However, I do not disagree that a Retul fit might do me good =)

Anonymous said...

Facu,
I hope you recover soon.
Ahhh you are welcome for the photos. ;-)

Daddy

Facundo said...

Thanks for the pics dad (and mom)! You know I am too cheap to buy them and I would have used the ones with the watermarks =)

I am printing them to take them home!

Enjoy the trip and eat lots of saturated cheeses =)