Thursday, June 18, 2009

Physical and Mental Recovery

This last training week (ending today) has been very taxing physically and mentally. Physically because of all the hard work done, mentally because there was a race involved, and several intensity sessions. And intensity gets even harder mentally when you are fatigued physically.

Monday started off with a 1.5hr run through UBC trails. Legs were still feeling tired from Friday and Saturday efforts and so I just cruised. Dont know how far I run, neither I care. In the afternoon I got 4 solid loops of the Open Water swim at kits, Patrice, Ryan, Vincent and Curtis were also there which made it more fun and a little more competitive (Patrice, thanks for whacking me in the head a couple of times, it really adds some race day feeling to it!).

Tuesday my lats and triceps woke up in pain. I guess 4.4km inside a rubber suit makes you work a bit harder to move the arms around. In the morning swim Patrice and I were both destroyed but still put out a decent effort. The afternoon involved a ride to Iona, 1st hour hammer, 2nd hour strong.

Wednesday was going to be painful with lots of intensity. I joined the leading edge crew for a track workout at 5:30 in the morning. Lots of good efforts despite not feeling warmed up until the last 30% of the workout, running speed and morning do not go together. At work I had a friends birthday and therefore I refueled myself with lots of pizza and chicken wings (my one allowed unhealthy meal of the week). In the afternoon I joined the leading edge crew for some 16k individual and team time trials. At this point, with 20 hrs in the bag and track workout in the morning, I did not know how fast I would be able to go. Surprise surprise, it was damn good... I left second to last and quickly bridged to the previous 2 people (Martina and Rob), from that point on the train got started and lasted until the end. On the second round we got put in groups of 4 according to the individual performances. I had literally given all on the ITT and had nothing left, our team average speed was slower than our ITTs.

Today I was glad it was Thursday for many reasons.
1) Yesterday I had great speed workouts and felt a confidence boost
2) After the morning swim I get the afternoon off
3) Today is the end of a tough 3 week block
4) Friday and Saturday should be easier before Sundays Race
5) Tomorrow is payday Friday

Besides training, work is going good. I have been busy for the last couple of weeks working on different things which is good, variety is good. I should get a new project soon, either today or tomorrow. At home everything is normal, the weather has cooled down a bit and so has the apartment, therefore I have been sleeping better. Yesterday Eze made pork teriyaki with broccoli and mushrooms, it was De-li-cious, the best so far (3rd time he makes it I think). He is now taking a class at UBC and still looking for work, but until he finds something he has pulled out the chefs hat and tried a couple of new things. Mom: you should have seen those empanadas...

Anyways, that is it for now. Physically I should be good and ready for the race by Sunday, but I am already feeling great mentally (odd how 1/2 day off and 2 easy days ahead play in your head). Wish me luck!

Facundo

1 comment:

MARIA said...

Good luck for Sunday...and keep enjoying what you do!!!
Feel like you are having more fun working out in teams, congrats!
Eze..cheff..empanadas...jajaja.....good boy.
We´ll call you up before the race.