Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy Friday!

Payday Friday!!! Fridays are always good, but sunny warm payday Fridays are even better =) I actually even kind of forgot how miserable I was at night, when I woke up pretty much every hour lying in an oven.

Let me explain, our apartment is on the top floor, which means all day long we have the sun hitting on the roof. It is also on the south west corner of the building, which means that once the afternoon comes, and temperatures are high already, I get the sun to hit all the exterior walls for another 5 or 6 hours. By 10pm the sun is down, but because of the buildings “thermal mass”, heat is still released into the apartment for a couple more hours. By 4 or 5 in the morning, just around the time the alarm goes off, it starts getting cooler. Thanks! Last night the window fan was not even that useful, getting hot air blown is better than nothing, but I still felt I was in an oven with a fan. And lets not even get into the sweat topic, just not cool. Anyways, I got it out of me, now I feel better. I talked to other people before the swim with the same problem, so at least I know I am not the crazy one with temperature control/regulation issues.

Yesterday was my half day off, only had a swim in the morning and then the afternoon was off. There was an event/art show at work with lots of good catered food from 4.30pm to 6.30 pm. After that I headed back home, crossed out some tasks in my whiteboard and went to bed at 8pm. It was not an ideal recovery afternoon (or night for that matter) and therefore today I am still feeling a little tired. I might take it easier than planned in the afternoon.

On Sunday there is a cycling road race on the Point Grey/UBC area that I am seriously considering in doing. Its 7x10.5km laps, it should be lots of fun and quite fast, but kind of risky as well. I would be racing in Cat4/5, which will probably average about 38-40kph for the race. Being in a pack, speed seems very doable. The risky part comes from cornering / drafting at those speeds with lots of inexperienced riders (including myself). Someone hits the brakes / goes wide in a turn and then bam! 4 or 5 of us go down. My plan, if I race it, is to stay clear of trouble. Riding close to the front of the pack or on the sides seems like the best idea compared to being literally in the middle of the bunch, where you are stuck, caged, and forced to follow everyone else. I would race on my training bike, not putting my carbon at risk, but will be using my new race wheels. It seems that some other people from Speed Theory will be racing as well so we might have a “team” and work together.

Westside Cycling Classic - Lap


Westside Cycling Classic - Lap Elevation

I am still looking for a ride to Cranbrook; however I have a couple of alternatives. If I don’t get one soon, I will be doing the bike race this Sunday, a 10km run next Friday, and the Iron Mountain Olympic Tri a week later. All these race talk is making me hungry, must eat right now.

Facundo

4 comments:

Vincent said...

Hey, do you have a cycling BC license? If not you'll have to look into that.

Bike race looks fun. A nasty hill in there on each lap. The corners shouldn't be too bad though. Nothing tight.

Have fun man!

Facundo said...

I think you can buy a one day licence for 15$ or so, kind of like not having your TriBc card...

I will need to call/ask Bike Gallery people when I register tomorrow afternoon

Elliot said...

Man I read your blog and you are a training machine ! You going to any of the open water swims this year?

Facundo said...

Hey buddy! I was wondering about you the other day, we should go riding together!

I am going to show up mondays mostly. On thursdays I swim in the mornings with a team, but mondays there is no workout. Hopefully I see you tomorrow =)