Sunday, September 27, 2009

Brisbane

Yesterday I came back to Surfers Paradise after spending 2 full days in Brisbane. I left early on Friday morning to catch the first express train at 5:20 am. It takes about 30 min by bus to get to the train station by bus and then 1:15 to get from Nerang to Brisbane downtown by train. I had a very nice map of the city that had a 20km city walk tour on it. I am not sure who it was designed for, but I believe most people will “screw that” when they see 20km on it. I went for it as it was taking me through pretty much all things to see around the city.

The walk started in Central station, then went by some typical neighborhoods were I could see the “typical house style” (see picture), then across a bridge to the West Bank area where most of the Museums, markets, etc are. In that area, there is a crazy beach/pool (see picture) in the middle of a park. You can see the river to the right, the pool and white fine sand, salt water, life guards, palm trees. I thought it was one of the coolest things I have seen in the middle of a city (with no ocean) so I decided to take lunch and watch people tan, swim, play, whatever. After that I kept walking along the river but on the cliff side. Brisbane is quite hilly and in one section they blew out some rocks to do rock climbing by the river, also pretty cool, it was a 100m drop I say.

In the afternoon I headed to downtown and walked around most of the main streets, pedestrian walks and parks. I found the area of hostels and without a reservation (there was 5 hostels all together so I thought I did not need one) there was only “expensive” rooms left. In the end the only one that had a cheaper room was kinda shitty and the room was absolutely covered in clothes and things on the floor. I did not care much as I was only going to go there at night, sleep, wake up and take off. There is a picture that shows what I am talking about. When the sun when down the streets downtown started to get busier and busier, live music and dancing going on in the streets, and outdoor bars everywhere. I walked through the city again (not the 20km, but probably another 5) to see everything at night. I really like taking night pictures…

On Sunday I woke up and went for a ferry ride in the river. The company that operates it is the same that operates the trains and the buses so it was pretty cheap (not like a tourist boat…) I got to sit and relax for 1hr while I was taken everywhere. I hit the Museums and Art Galleries from noon till 5pm as it was blazing hot. I am not sure how hot, but I say above 30 for sure. It was not so much the heat, but here the sun is pretty strong compared to Vancouver.

After a long long day I got back on the train and got home by 9pm ready for food and bed. Today the day was pretty easy with a swim in the morning and being lazy in the afternoon (which includes internet and writing this!)

Anyways, that is it for now. On Tuesday I am heading up north to Cairns for 5 days so I don’t think I will post anything from there, but there will be lots of pictures when I come back I am sure. I will be scuba diving/snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, I cant wait!

Here are some of the pictures I got from the city (and random stuff I came across during the 2 days, some of them pretty weird!) Enjoy


Anyone wants to BBQ?


Sinks at the Moder Art Museum


Paradise in the City


I still dont get it...


Parklands at night


Cool Restaurant


River and Downtown at night


Maybe I will make reservations next time =S


Queen Street


hmmm very affordable...


The city from a bridge








Facundo

3 comments:

MARIA said...

Muy lindas! Che,cambiate la remera..jajaja...
Un besote grande,

Kamal Rae said...

That is some expensive parking!! Hope you're having fun!

Eze said...

Muy buenas las fotos, Facu. Seguila pasando bien!

Por aca todo genial. Un abrazo.