Friday, July 24, 2009

World Master Games – Swimming

Yesterday I registered myself on the World Master Games. Swimming is one of the only sports where you can compete as being as “young” as 25 years old on the 25-29 age category. Most other sports, like running, start with the 30-34 age category.

The games start on October 10th, exactly one month after the World Championships. They take place in Sydney, about 800km south of the Gold Coast. It should be a fun fun event as I get to take place on the opening and closing ceremonies (same place as Sydney 2000) and will be swimming on the Olympic pool. How cool is that?

With your registration you are allowed 5 individual events + the 3K open water (the main reason I wanted to do the games). The decision was not easy, I knew I was doing the 800 and 400, but no idea what else. By process of elimination I got rid of all the backstroke and breaststroke events (which includes IM). Then I was left with 200, 100, 50 free, 200, 100, 50 fly. I went for the 100 free, I want so see if I can break a minute. 200 free was out as I will be doing 800 and 400, and in 50 free I would get my butt kicked. 50 fly I actually really like, and I am quite good at it (can almost swim 50 fly as fast as 50 free), so I went for it. Mmm… 100 fly or 200 fly…. Well, I would need to dope to last 200 fly, so I took the 100.

Goal Time and Pace:
800 free: 10:08, 1:16
400 free: 4:48, 1:12
100 free: 1:00
100 fly: 1:05
50 fly: 28
3K open water: 39:00, 1:18 (wetsuit-does not qualify for medal)/ 40:00, 1:20 (non wetsuit)

I am very excited about the games, its been a long time since I have been in a swimming competition. My start skills might be a quite a bit rusty, and the swim speed I had when I was 15-16 might not be there, but for sure I am going to take it easier and enjoy more than I did when I was younger. Good luck to me!

Hip Update: Its getting better SLOWLY, very slowly. Nationals being 4 weeks away I went to see another chiropractor today, and he seemed to have yet another different opinion. Lets try once again and see what happens... I am going back there on Tuesday and Friday next week for some adjustments. I also scrapped the Self Trascendence Tri in Victoria a week from now to be able to get 4 weeks of solid uninterrupted (injury free) training before Nationals...

3 comments:

Mr. Waterman said...

Facundo, my name is Geoff Waterman, good race this past weekend in Penticton. I raced as well, it was a good/tough day! I lived in Vancouver last year and had an amazing chiro. He works in Kits, his name is Dr. Nigel he is very thorough.

Dr. Nigel Liang, Chiropractor & Associates -. Phone: 604-731-7789

enej said...

"I would need to dope to last 200 fly" =P
Who doesn't...

Facundo said...

Thanks Geoff! If the "new" one does not seem to work/figure out what is going on then I will move on to Mr Liang =)

Good race las Sunday as well! I will see you in Kelowna, I imagine you will be racing there...

Cheers