Friday, January 15, 2010

Mexico Part 2

On Sunday January 3rd we went back home in Tampico as dad had to start a new project on Monday, and 5 days was more than enough in a town that size (with the weather conditions as they were, had it been sunny and warm then its a different story). Work hours for my dad (and many people working in offices in Mexico) are 8-2pm and 4-6pm. They are oddly split -very uneven to my liking- but at least it does allow time to go home, eat, take a nap. So Monday morning dad went off to work and I had 6 hours to smash myself. 1.5hr swim, 1.5hr gym, 1hr run and then dad was home for lunch. Napped and during his 2 hours in the afternoon I went for a 1hr ride. Smashed: check. Tuesday morning I wanted to go for a long ride, but definitely was not going to ride 1 gazillion 2.1km loops in the University so I asked dad for directions to a nice road out of the city with little traffic. It was going to be fun/kamikaze to ride 40 min each way in the city to get to the quiet road, but I like kamikaze so I went for it, well worth it. Aside from doing some mountain biking through potholes and dodging some crazy buses it was easy to get there and the road was quiet, new pavement (until there was no pavement at all), and great scenery. I rode 1:40 there and then headed back, getting there was easy but getting back I kinda got lost and had to call dad to figure out where I was. Once again, lunch, nap, and 1hr run in the afternoon.

Wednesday mom was coming back from Vancouver, so most of the training got done in the morning. Swim 1.5, gym 1.5, bike 1. We drove to the airport (5 minutes away), got mom, had dinner, bed. Thursday we woke up and the weather was getting worse and worse. Temperature was dropping, northern cold winds, rainy. Well... there goes the idea of riding again 3hrs on the nice quiet road. I switched that for 2hrs of core, weights at home and a swim. With mom around the house was not so boring when dad was working so I worked out more at home. Mom doing her yoga, pilates, me core doing core, hip, glutes strenghening with all my bands and stretch cords. On Friday we decided to watch Avatar in the afternoon and I liked it. Mom liked it as well and dad put up with "non real" stuff... He enjoyed it but I am sure he would have rather watched a movie on the History of the Mayans or something like that (not because he is boring but because fiction makes no sense to him). In the movie we (mostly I) went through a Jumbo Caramel Popcorn thing, so delicious! To cap it off we went to a restaurant for pizza afterwards.

Saturday was my second to last day in Mexico and it got colder and colder, hitting 6.9C at one point in time. Mmmmm am I in Mexico or what? Having no heaters in the house we did what most people did, wear more clothes, shut the kitchen doors and hang out there with the oven on and open. Easily 10C difference between the kitchen and anywhere else in the house. Mom slept covered with 5 blankets, I had 3 but slept with sweatpants and 2 long sleeve shirts. Weather was not good for anything but hitting the gym, running on the treadmill and going for AYCE meat for dinner. We finished just in time to have ice cream from a coffee shop inside a supermarket that has one of the best ice creams in town. Yes, cold, but never say no to ice cream. Well aparently all this eating has left some damage on my parents treadmill, a not so massive 80kg me running at 4:20min/km managed to break the board under the belt, I guess its not used to that kind of abuse. Anyways, I think has now been replaced and the bill should be getting here shortly =P

Sunday I took the day off, and came back to Vancouver. Since then its all been back to normal, swimming in the mornings, work and training in the afternoon. I am really looking forward to this weekend to get some free time and a nap. I dont really like them (naps) but dad forced me to "try" them the 2 weeks I was there. If I fall asleep quickly and wake up springy I love them, great tool. If I take 45 minutes to fall asleep and 45 minutes to engage my brain afterwards for a 1hr nap, then 2.5 hr ordeal is just not effective from a time standpoint. It also makes harder going to sleep at night so some more time wasted in there....

That is all from this trip, now I just have to dowload pictures and put them up which most likely happen during the weekend. Thanks dad and mom for everything down there, eventhough mom was not there most of the time her freezer (which is her 3rd son) was and was very very full with very delicious home made food.

Later

Facundo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u forget the "challenging" cycling session in the evening in the university when you forced me to stay under unbelievable weather conditions (for this part of Mexico).
One more thing. I discovered naps when i was 49. Keep trying when u can!! They are great for brain and muscle recovery.
Dad