Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Life Update

Its been now 10 days since I last posted and therefore there has been lots of training, a couple of social events, the usual work, and a couple of very nice weather days!

When I came back from Mexico 20 days ago my plantar fasciitis was still bothering me quite a bit. The initial excruciating pain felt in the mornings or after running had subsided to a mild pain before the trip, and therefore over the course of 4 weeks (part in Mexico) I was able to build to about 3.5 hrs of running. The pain was not getting any worse than a mild discomfort but was not getting any better either. The pain would let me run, but would not allow for quality, any sort of speed work, no uneven terrains, no hills. If I did any of those then the excruciating pain will come back more often than not. So, what good was it to run like that? Once again I decided to take time off when I came back from Mexico to let things heal, and I once again researched thousands of places and sites and talked to people to see what else I could do to help that I didn’t try yet. During the 10 days off running I once again started to get desperate as its been about 3 months of very very poor and inconsistent running. Plantar fasciitis was causing me excruciating physical pain, why not also put myself through excruciating psychological pain and start water running? I had done it in the past and lasted 2 sessions, but I was willing to give it another shot. The following day after the swim in the morning I put my ipod shuffle under the swim cap and I went for it, 30 min. The following day 30 min. Following day no swimming and therefore no running either, but the day after again 30min. Its been now 6 times in 8 days that I manage to do it. At the same time I started jogging again this week, and it has not hurt at all. I am stretching the heck out of my calves and Achilles tendons, doing some eccentric calf raises which seem to help lots, massaging/icing frequently, shoes with very little use, and going very very easy. I cant afford to re injure, its either no pain at all or stop. So far no pain at all, 15 min / day for 6 days, and 2.5hr of water running. Next week I will be doing 20 min / day, very easy pace, and only 2 hrs of water running. Following week…. you get the idea…

Aside from running, cycling and swimming are going well. I was very tired for a good stretch as I was loosing quite a bit of weight I put on since September. Now that I am back on track and calories in = calories out (ie, no deficit) I feel much better than before. On Saturday 16th Martina and I went for an amazing sunny ride as I mentioned on the previous blog, then the weather turned nasty and lots lots of rain. Come the following Saturday and Sunday the weather was once again very nice and we were able to ride out both days. On Saturday Martina, Ryan and I went to Horseshoe Bay after swimming and it was a good ride, with some harder pieces through the rollers. Sunday Ryan and I drilled it around Richmond and were feeling it in the afternoon and well into Monday. Swimming is going well. Although I am not swimming much “faster” than before, I do feel that technique is getting better. Once I stop lifting weights 3 times a week and being constantly sore and tired I will speed up significantly (that’s the plan anyways).

On the social side, Friday we went for AYCE sushi with the guys at work; Sunday we went for AYCE sushi with Enej, Jason, Andra and Stefan; yesterday there was a Baguel-off at work where 3 people brought bagels from their favorite places in North Van, Kits, and Montreal and we did some tasting all day long (well, more than tasting as we all ended up stuffed with bagels). On the weekend Kamal might be over to attend a power seminar at speed theory and then go for a ride with the boys.

Today is my day off and after a 25hr week I want to do nothing but watch tv and eat a delicious dinner after work (which almost included crepes at Andra and Stefans place but got cancelled due to scheduling issues, next time!)

Facundo

No comments: