Tuesday, October 6, 2009

New Swimsuit

Today I went for a swim in the morning and I found out that the speedo I was using for the last month in Australia is already wearing out! Chlorine levels are insane in the pools around here and have managed to go through my tri shorts and now my speedo. No wonder why the Speedo shop at the mall was all crazy about their Chlorine Resistant stuff and almost nothing of the regular old stuff...

Anyways, so today I had to make a decision as I am leaving for the World Master Games on Thursday (less than 2 days away here). I could either race with the slip I have (still in decent conditions) for the pool events, and maybe the open water or get something new (depending on what I found on the store). So I headed out to Harbour Town Outlet straight into the Speedo store. It was a relatively big store, and there was plenty of options. Jammers were about 45, drag shorts 40, speedos about 35, non chlorine resistant speedos 15! (I would almost say they are disposable...) Prices were not bad, and I was going to get a speedo with a pretty cool design, one that its not available in Canada for sure. I was about to make my decision and when I turn around I see the aisle with the Fastskins and LZR suits. Pretty cool, I had never seen the famous LZR before... Anyways, I looked at the price of the LZR and was 50% off, I guess since they are banning them starting January they just want to get rid of them ASAP. 50%off means it still costs 250$ for the full body, no way. They I turn into the FastSkin (FSII to be precise) which is the second best suit (used before the LZR came out). Surprise surprise, the price was down from 250$ to 59$ and until Saturday there was a 20% discount of the lowest marked price.

Right away I go to the sales lady and I ask:
q: aheemm, excuse me miss, is this really 59$ minus 20%?
a: yes, it works out to be 47.20 with taxes...

Result: We found the size, I squished myself into it, liked it, bought it.

The suit will be banned in January 2010 (the list has not come out yet, but pretty sure). Unlike the LZR, the material of the FSII is approved by FINA, however starting in 2010 mens suits are only allowed to be below the belly button and above the knees (ie: jammers. And yes, I asked in the store for jammers but there was nothing!) Anyways, I dont really care. I had to buy something and it was going to cost me the same as a speedo, so I got it. I am dying to try it in the water! Here is what I got:


FSII Full


This is exactly the model I got, just the male version =)

Another advantage I see is that for the open water race we are not allowed wetsuits (well, we are but then we dont qualify for medals) so I was going to have to suck it up and race in my speedo no matter what temperature Sydney water decides to be on the 18th. Now with this I will at least have a "second skin" which might (or might nor) keep me warmer and still qualify for medals. Great!

Anyways, that is it for now. Last 2 days I was on the egde of getting sick but today I am feeling much better. Taking it easy tomorrow and then off to Sydney Thursday. I will probably post from there next.

Facundo

PS: ohhh yeahh... one more advantage of the full suit, I am not shaving!!! Once again, I manage to evade the razor.

4 comments:

Vincent said...

that suit is going to be awesome

good luck!

MARIA said...

Muy "sepsi", que te traiga suerte, cuidate mucho.

KC said...

Good Luck and have fun - I'm especially keen to hear about how they will show off the 'youngest' competitor (milk it for all you can!). Hee Hee!

Enej said...

All the best at the Master worlds event. You are going to be flying in the new suite :P.